Monday, May 7, 2012

Summer Guide 2012 for the Weekly Alibi

Here's my latest for the Weekly Alibi! Four spot illustrations for their 2012 Summer Guide. I did the same job last year except that time I did a whopping twelve illos instead of four! The art director provided me with four paragraphs chock-full of content that I really enjoyed picking through. The more info the better, I say!

This time, each illustration includes a drink of some sort. I made sure to stick 'em in opposing corners so they all balance out. I also used my trusty Wacom Intuos2 tablet for the sketches this year, instead of pencil. 

The surface of my tablet is all pitted and scratched up so on the advice of a Wacom customer service rep I stuck a piece of mylar on top that I cut to size. The surface is nice and smooth now and works like a charm! Unfortunately my nibs are wearing down just as fast and I honestly don't know what I'm going to do once I run out of replacements. The Wacom site sells replacement surfaces and nibs, but not for Intuos2 :(. I poked around the internet and I didn't find any great suggestions. If anyone has an idea of what I can use for nibs, please let me know!

Last year I did Alibi's Annual Haiku contest cover, which was another repeat job for me. I must be doing something right!

Sketches for this one:

--Julia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice illustrations!

Julia Minamata said...

Thanks! I'm glad you like them :).