Monday, May 28, 2012

Andy Warhol for A Circus Mind

 Another for my series of illustrations for "A Circus Mind" by Ryan Cox! This one has a kinda different colour thing going on than what I usually do. I'm always trying to figure new stuff out! There are a lot of portraits in this one, from Mick Jagger to Edie Sedgwick and Holly Woodlawn in the front, to Candy Darling and Gerard Malanga in the back. All of them were fixtures in Warhol's studio The Factory. I added some little background details to indicate that's where they are. I saw lots of pictures of the interior of The Factory and there were a lot of pillars wrapped in tin foil and the odd ladder :P.

I offset the colours a little to represent the silkscreen process, as well as to add a party-like atmosphere / garishness / uncomfortable vibration. I suppose I depicted Warhol the same way I feel in similar situations!

I focused on post-shooting Warhol, and how withdrawn he became after the incident. Even before the shooting it seems like he had a detached view of life -- but after, he said "Right when I was being shot and ever since, I knew that I was watching television. The channels switch, but it's all television." Warhol had to wear a surgical support wrap around his torso, which I made sure to include. He died a year after his shooter did. He had spent the rest of his life afraid she would try to kill him again. I wanted to contrast the bright colours and fleshily-coloured people surrounding him with what he may have felt like on the inside. Warhol always seemed colourless to me, even in colour photographs. 

Here are the sketches!

-- Julia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool look Julia!