Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY Music and Underground Creative Culture, for the Weekly Alibi

There's always been a culture of resourceful musicians, hobbyists, and crafty people -- but thanks to the internet and all sorts of other technology, sharing knowledge and projects and getting together has never been easier. Long live DIY!

The colours of this illustration are a little bit different from what I usually do. Often there's a punchy contrasting colour but not here. I wanted to capture a bit of a vintage basement feel (shag carpet, wood-panelled speakers, dumpy couch!). 

I had no idea how much knitting has been championed by craftivism. In fact, I didn't much know what craftivism was. I love doing research and finding out about all sorts of interesting stuff :). 

And yeah, yet another illo with a guitar in it. This blog post provides a bunch of helpful links that'll direct you to some of my other depictions of guitars!

 Sketch:

--Julia


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really cool piece Julia!

Julia Minamata said...

Thanks! It was fun to try something a little different with the colour.