Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Appa and Momo-Dido

Avatar: The Last Airbender is a towering achievement in animated television. Don't think of the live-action movie or even the James Cameron 3D 3-hour hardware demo -- Grab the animated tv series now! It's available on Netflix (even the emaciated version of Netflix we get up here in Canada) so if you have to, try Netflix for its free trial period and watch all the episodes and then cancel Netflix. The show is just that good.

Sure, you may think it looks like a typical kiddie cartoon; one of those anime that doesn't quite look like anime with horrendous voice acting and worse writing. Give it a chance! The fact that a kids' show that is this complex and nuanced yet accessible got made is simply incredible. 

A sequel series is coming this April and I can hardly wait. The Legend of Korra! Here's a link to the trailer on YouTube, although I must say I didn't watch it because I already know I'm going to watch the heck out of this show. I did the same thing with the Harry Potter movies. I knew I was going to see them in the theatre, so why bother with trailers that'll show the coolest scenes? Save it!  

This is a card I made for my boyfriend, with a mini-Appa (the larger horned thing), Dido-as-Momo (cat + flying lemur) and a turtle duck to round it all out. Because turtle ducks are the cutest hybrid animals ever.

No comments: