Friday, November 27, 2015

Snakes n' Ladders Spread


I've done a bunch of back page illustrations for Macleans over the years, but sometimes the art director has something a little different. I always say "Count me in!".

One time I got to do an illustration that looks like a colouring book page:

And here's one for J.K. Rowling's first venture into grown-up fiction, "A Casual Vacancy":

This one is a vintage-looking Snakes n' Ladders board with a bunch of tidbits about the Canadian economy. We were always a board-gaming household and one of my first favourites was our old-school Snakes n' Ladders board with moral lessons for the snakes and ladders. Example: Eat snacks before dinner / spoil your appetite! Snake! Study hard / pass the test! Ladder! 

Here are some of the spot illustrations that go in the little game squares. I don't often draw full body shots of teeny-tiny people so that was something new for me:

I had a lot of fun coming up with concepts for each tidbit of writing.


This one's straightforward -- Target stores in Canada miss their mark and close all their stores:


Household Debt:


Trans-Pacific Partnership deal. I made them wear old-timey bathing suits because the board was supposed to have a vintage flavour: 



This one was my favourite. Had to do with the Bank of Canada Governor shocking the market by cutting the overnight rate :D :

There were a bunch more on the board, hope you like them!

-- Julia


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the game board!