Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Horse Problem for the Weekly Alibi

Are horses livestock or pets? What should be done with the growing population of abandoned horses, as the economy has made it more and more difficult for families to feed them? Should the ban on slaughtering horses for human consumption have been lifted in the States?

There are lots of things to consider. Is it more humane to kill the horses in slaughterhouses or let them starve to death on their own, or ship them overseas to have them killed there? Is horse meat fit for human consumption, as so many horses are injected with drugs during their lives that may remain intact in their flesh after slaughter? Is it ethical to sell that meat to other countries for low prices, even though there may be health and safety issues?

I don't have any idea how it'll all work out so that's what I illustrated. One path to the slaughterhouse, one to abandonment, and one to an animal shelter. Whatever happens, it'll be humans leading the way.

Here's the original sketch. I didn't know what the dimensions of the illustration were so I started horizontally (most of my jobs for the Alibi have been either square or horizontal): 

After I got the dimensions, it was pretty easy to resize and shuffle around the elements to work in a vertical composition. To me, it's better to get started with the sketch and not just be sitting on my hands!

-- Julia
Portfolio site

No comments: