Monday, September 17, 2012

Closet Case for Rhode Island Monthly

Here's an illustration I did for the Rhode Island Monthly, which features stylist Jill Marinelli's advice on some essential pieces that should be in every woman's wardrobe. I had a lot of fun working with the paper doll idea -- When I was young I LOVED paper dolls. Still do! The copy in this layout is just filler, if you want to read the actual article Jill has posted it on her site.

I couldn't resist making the clothing match up perfectly with the body of the figure. Here are a some of the looks that can be created from the pieces I illustrated:





Sketch!


Here are the other sketches I submitted:

This sketch showcases a week's worth of outfits that could be created with the wardrobe essentials. 


Here's a rough portrait of the stylist. I drew her climbing up a rope made of knotted clothing to help her client!



This sketch takes the wardrobe basics mentioned in the story and displays them on a clothesline.

This sketch has a lady shipwrecked in her chaotic walk-in closet, signalling for help. 


And this one plays with the idea of an actual "closet case", where the stylist is helping her client photograph and catalogue her clothing, much like a detective would do to solve a mystery. I made the body copy of the article look like part of a case file!


-- Julia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great piece Julia!

Julia Minamata said...

Thanks! Paper dolls are too much fun :).