Monday, June 11, 2012

Latest Macleans illo on newsstands this week

Here's my latest Macleans illustration! The obituary subject was part Cree, an avid cyclist, a volunteer who was involved in the Girl Guides, YMCA, and more. She worked at a graffiti art gallery in Winnipeg (the statue on the left side of the frame is the famous "Golden Boy" of Winnipeg, featured in a The Weakerthans song). 

And here's the accompanying spot illustration for the Macleans iPad version:

 

The sketch, which is very close to the finished version. I finessed the feathers a little, though.

Should be out some time midweek!

-- Julia

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous Julia!

Julia Minamata said...

Thanks very much :D

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Those obits always leave me teary-eyed.
You should be very proud. It's lovely!

Julia Minamata said...

Thanks, Jody! I always consider it such a privilege that I get to honour the lives of Canadians from all walks of life :).

Kelsey Fitzgerald said...

Thanks for the art work you did. That was my aunt, I know the family appreciates it.

Julia Minamata said...

Thank you so much for getting in touch, Kelsey. Whenever I illustrate one of these stories I always think of the family and hope they like my work. It means a lot to me.

Julia Minamata said...

I'm sorry for your loss. She sounded like a remarkable woman.