Friday, August 6, 2010

Going old school












I have a really, really soft spot for old school, early 90s Sierra and LucasArts point-and-click adventure games. King's Quest 1-7, Space Quest 1-5, Quest for Glory 1-4, Colonel's Bequest, Dagger of Amon Ra, Monkey Island (all except for the 3D one), Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Grim Fandango... Played them all, loved them all. I especially love the ol' EGA, 16-colour-ful ones.

So when I found out about Adventure Game Studio, a user-friendly program that allows people to create their very own adventure games with minimal programming savvy, I couldn't resist. I've started to teach myself how to use AGS and YouTuber densming's video tutorials have been terrifically helpful. Eventually I'd love to make an entire game!

In the meantime, here's a character portrait rendered in glorious GIFness, with the number of colours running in ascending order: 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 32, and 64. There's something about jaggedly, non-aliased graphics that really take me back.

Click each to see them enlarged in all their boxy glory!

Enjoy!

No comments: