Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Above the Belt!

I've gotten a bit behind in posting new work. Here's one I did for the holidays for the Weekly Alibi, featuring Duke Ellington facing off against Tchaikovsky in a battle of duelling Nutcracker renditions! Link to the article.

Christmastime is always a flurry of activity; visiting friends and family, making presents, etc. Add to that I had to pack and prep for being back in Calgary for the duration AND I managed to get a horribly persistent sinus/throat cold thing that lasted almost a month... But I'm all set now and ready to catch up with this darn blog thing!

Note the green and red colour palette! Appropriate for an xmas-themed illustration (just realized it now but I will pretend that was my intent all along :P)! I wanted to make the Nutcracker look a bit like Don King. I toyed with the idea of making them shirtless but I ultimately decided these dudes were way too dignified for that. 

And here's the weeny sketch I made. More of a thumbnail, if your thumb nail is 1.5x1.5".

4 comments:

Erin Mason said...

This made me laugh I love it could you do some more thanks x

Erin Mason said...

I loved this it made me laugh so much would you do more about P I Tchaikovsky. Thank you x

Erin Mason said...

I loved this it made me laugh so much would you do more about P I Tchaikovsky. Thank you x

Julia Minamata said...

Thanks, Erin! Glad to hear you like it. I have one I did of Wagner that I may be blogging soon, so stay tuned :).